Emmett Till

Emmett Till
Murdered at 14 years old in Money, Mississippi. The spectacle surrounding Till's murder was one of the precipitating events leading to the Civil Rights Movement.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Quote from "The Ethics of Living Jim Crow"

"When I told the folks at home what happened, they called me a fool. They told me that
I must never again attempt to exceed my boundaries. When you are working for white folk, they said, you got to "stay in your place" if you want to keep working."(pg. xviii)

This quote stood out to me because although Wright felt that he was brutalized and treated unfairly, everyone told him, black and white alike that he's pushing his luck. He should consideer himself lucky to be alive. In those days, being beaten half to death is almost like being able to walk away unscathed.

2 comments:

Ezhaq said...

I agree with the reason why you picked the quote and I also think that Richard did the right thing as a human being. He had the right to ask questions. It shoud have struck them with the fact that he was actually eager to know more and work harder. But they took it the wrong way.

john said...

throughout this passage, it did seem as like he was very luncky to be alive with all the incidents he has been involved in. If you think about it, the white folks were cool with him until he asked both of them that he wanted to learn, and that was when they got upset. Those white folk did not want the black society to achieve at all because they saw themselves as the domiate race.