Emmett Till

Emmett Till
Murdered at 14 years old in Money, Mississippi. The spectacle surrounding Till's murder was one of the precipitating events leading to the Civil Rights Movement.

Monday, July 30, 2007

The Sky is Gray- Forced Adulthood

" I love my momma and i want to put y arm around her and tell her. But I'm not supposed to do that. She say that's weakness and babycry stuff and she don't want no babycry stuff around her. she don't want you to be scared, either. Cause Ty's scared of ghost and shes always whipping him. I'm scared of the dark too, but i make tend i ain't. I make tend i ain't cause I'm the oldest, and i got to set a good example for the rest. I cant ever be scared and i cant ever cry". pg 84 of The Sky is Gray.

3 comments:

untainted.. said...

I chose this quote because it shcocked me at how this young boy is forced into adulthood and never fully experience a warm loving enviornment which is crucial to young children. He is forced to not examine his own emotions because he has to hide them, which will hinder his ability to relate to others or even at an extreme hinder him from expressing his feelings to others which is destructive to the civil rights movement. Activist thrived on the voicing of opinions and if evryone is going to stand by and be taught to not speak up the cycle will continue.

Marquita

flordeloto said...

I agree with your reaction b/c even though I did not live during the time period and see things different now I believe that everybody has the right to be loved and free. If people always stand aside and do not express their ideas nothing is going to change and change is part of life.

Sami said...

i have to agree that the fact that the boys believes he should not hug his mother is a bit extreme, this displays a view of a man being cold hearted or un-loving which i disagree with. you can be a mature young man and still be compassionate when you feel the need to. i think that the cold hearted response of the mother is a metaphor of the worls and the jim crow lifestyle.